Cyber Militay

Deadcompute

Unread post Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 pm

I propose a cyber military to protect all of our digital assets
RonBn

Unread post Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:13 pm

What need is there for a military force? I know of no current conflict or danger other than standard malware and security issues, which a normal IT team can deal with, that we face.
Deadcompute

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:43 am

No but military sounds better than it team
RonBn

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 am

Deadcompute wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:43 am
I feel like I might be taking this too seriously...
DolanGustan

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 pm

RonBn wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 am
Deadcompute wrote:
I feel like Compute isn't taking this seriously enough.
DolanGustan

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 pm

RonBn wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 am
Deadcompute wrote:
I feel like Compute isn't taking this seriously enough. |:
drenzorz

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I think a group trained in cyber security and laws of concern would be important to act as our "military". Though our land is virtual it does need protection since foreign internet regulations, hackers etc can deal real damage to the Republic especially if we have a proper economy going.
Deadcompute

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm glad someone has figured it out
RonBn

Unread post Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 pm

drenzorz wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 pm
I think a group trained in cyber security and laws of concern would be important to act as our "military". Though our land is virtual it does need protection since foreign internet regulations, hackers etc can deal real damage to the Republic especially if we have a proper economy going.
It is true that security has been, is, and always will be an issue, but we need to keep the scope we are talking about in mind. Militaries are professional organization formally authorized by a sovereign state to use lethal or deadly force (and in this age of information cyber activity could be lethal) and weapons to support the interests of the state. Interests such as conquest, asserting power and influence, defense and etc. And though perhaps the aim is to become a state, we are not one yet.

Though your idea perhaps could lead to a positive improvement in the security of Tor, merely having an organization that we classify to be a military could cause alarm by other military cyber units, of real militaries, viewing us as a hostile online group trying to grasp power or money. An online group similar to the hacking groups the public already sees with a negative eye after the recent media outcry about the likes of Meltdown, Wannacry, and Spectre, making Tor, in the public eye, be associated with them. We don't want to kind of attention. Also, allowing the establishment of an army in the wild-west that is the internet would be greatly against the interest of most nations, this could potentially create some tension.

In addition, I'd like to point out that armies are quite expensive and difficult to facilitate, even small ones. The intelligence, personnel, training, specialized equipment, R&D and general resources that you would need to establish a capable and worthwhile army are immense.

I'm sorry if I may seem negative or overly critical, I just feel we need a good injection of realism here and there, that's all.
Deadcompute

Unread post Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 am

I see you're point but we still need at least an it team